W.G. Hale

Built by W.G. Hale, the architect who also designed the Divine Lorraine, the Hale Building has never followed the rules. Pulling from several architectural trends, Hale disregarded the clean, classic design that was growing in popularity at the turn of the century. By the time his plans came to life in 1887, the building’s High Victorian design had gone out of style. Hale built it anyway.

A League of Its Own

Regarded as an eyesore at the turn of the 20th century, this architecturally eccentric building has one of the most unconventional histories in the city. Now, it’s reopening as a creative hub for restaurants, retail, and offices - designed for innovative people looking to pave their own paths, too.


Established 1887.

Originally built as offices for tenants such as the Keystone National Bank, detective agencies, and Hale himself.


An Artistic Edge.

Home to the Garrick Theater during the early 1900s.

Early 1900s

A Steamy Escape.

Used as a Turkish bath house and health club in the ’50s and ’60s.

1950s - 60s

Retail and Ruins.

Housed retail shops in the late 20th century and early 21st century, while the upper floors lay vacant and declining.

Late 1990s - Early 2000s

Reimagined 2016.

Now recognized as a Philadelphia landmark, the Hale Building is reopening as a mixed-use office space.